[REMOTE] Chief Academic Officer (M/F/D)
RemoteBerlin, Berlin, GermanyEducation
Tomorrow's Education follows a competency-based learning philosophy to educate and empower tomorrow's entrepreneurs. Learners apply their knowledge to real-world challenges and interact with academics, mentors, and industry partners from around the world. Our first cohort of students for the Professional Master in Sustainability, Entrepreneurship and Technology in cooperation with the Vienna University of Economics and Business started in April 2021.
Tomorrow's Education is a remote-first startup founded by serial entrepreneurs. Its vision is to unleash the power of students to become leaders for a sustainable future.
Tomorrow University of Applied Sciences (ToU) is part of Tomorrow's Education. It is a state-recognized, private university, currently running three Bachelor programs (Responsible Entrepreneurship, Sustainable Design & Product Management and AI & Sustainable Technologies). The ToU model is characterized by a challenge-based approach where learners master competencies through active and collaborative learning methodologies. Our mission is to empower students for the challenges of the 21st century in close cooperation with startups, established companies, and research institutions. For this purpose, we are looking for professionals with an innovative and entrepreneurial mindset, who are interested in new teaching and learning models, and who bring a future-oriented mindset to create the university of tomorrow with us.
As our first Chief Academic Officer, you will become part of our founding academic team and take the leading role in shaping academic affairs and university governance practices of our newly founded University of Applied Sciences. You should bring proven knowledge in the field of responsible entrepreneurship, leadership, or sustainability and ideally, have expertise in combining these disciplines from your professional experiences with fostering innovation and inspiring sustainable leaders.
Your main tasks will include:
- Lead the University Administration and represent the University externally;
- Develop the University’s vision and mission for the future and communicate them to internal and external partners;
- Lead the development and ensure the implementation of the University’s strategic aims, objectives, and related policies in support of the University’s mission;
- Enhance the reputation of the University for excellence and innovation in its teaching and research programs;
- Maintain and develop an effective working relationship with the Hessian Ministry of Higher Education, Research and the Arts and other government stakeholders;
- Foster existing industry partnerships and forge new ones;
- Provide direction and guidance to all scientific sectors of the University and, in particular, lead and manage the performance of the University’s scientific staff so as to ensure the effective and efficient management of the University and all its resources;
- Supervise the academic staff, initiate the advertisement for professorial positions, and make academic staffing proposals;
- Initiate, maintain, and enhance a close working relationship with colleagues and senior management of the University;
- Oversee quality assurance in teaching and research;
- In collaboration with the relevant authorities, staff, students, and alumni serve as a guiding light and motivator in the achievement of institutional goals that will enhance the distinctive reputation and character of the University in a highly competitive environment;
- Will be also appointed as a (full-time) professor of the University during the term of office.
Completed relevant university studies (e.g. in an economic, social, socio-scientific, and/or sustainability-oriented university subject; other subjects may be considered if relevant to entrepreneurship and/or business innovation);
Successfully completed a doctorate (Ph.D.), i.e. proof of qualification for scientific work;
Qualified professional experience of at least five years, three of which must have been gained outside academic institutions;
Excellent communications skills in English;
Publication and research activity in the field(s) of sustainability, entrepreneurship, innovation, and/or technology, ideally in a combination of one or more of these;
Teamwork, organizational skills, and hands-on mentality;
Enthusiasm and ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
International experience at universities (desirable);
Experience in the start-up environment and in multi-project management (desirable);
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- The opportunity to shape academic affairs and university governance from the ground up
- Varied tasks in a meaningful and promising field of work with a positive social impact
- Flexible working hours
- A diverse and international working environment
- Creative freedom for your own ideas and their implementation
- 100% remote setup: You can choose your place of work independently
Are you interested in education and impact? Grow with us and shape the educational landscape!
At Tomorrow's Education, we believe in the power of you and your own merit much more than we believe in degrees! Sounds strange for an educational provider? That's Tomorrow's Education!
We actively promote inclusion, equality, and diversity and pursue the strategic goal of significantly increasing the proportion of women and people from traditionally underrepresented groups in the research and learning community. Accordingly, we particularly welcome applications from people in all diversity groups.
*To review your submission, we will need your curriculum vitae and degree certificates (including Ph.D. proof).
We look forward to receiving your application!